The exact location and ways to travel to Matheran
- Matheran is a busy and famous hill station located in the Raigad district of Maharashtra.
- It is 90kms away from Mumbai.
- You can reach Matheran from Mumbai, by road in roughly 2 hours.
- The nearest broad gauge railway station to Matheran is that of Neral, around 20kms away.
- Once you reach Neral, you can take a narrow gauge train to Matheran and enjoy its beautiful forest landscape during your journey.
The best time to visit Matheran is during winters and early summers, between October and May.
Matheran is famous for its eco-friendly environment which is marked by an abundance of luscious green surroundings around the hill. It is also famous for its wide variety of ‘Chikkis’ and ‘Kolhapuri Chappals.’
Matheran is the perfect spot for family vacation. You can indulge in hiking, mountain climbing, horse riding, and even go on forest trails. Some places to visit in Matheran include Charlotte Lake, Prabal Fort and Alexander Point.
Matheran is Asia’s only automobile-free hill station.
Another famous and nearby getaway from Mumbai, if you are heading to Matheran for the weekend then you could stay at Dune Barr House & The Byke Resort for the much-needed break. These resorts in Matheran are well-maintained properties, ideally suited for small families & large groups and are a great retreat wherein you can relax and rejuvenate in solitude.