Ajanta and Ellora Caves
The exact location and ways to travel to Ajanta and Ellora Caves
- The world renowned Ajanta and Ellora Caves are located approximately 350kms from Mumbai, in Aurangabad district of Maharashtra.
- By road, it takes around 5 and half hours to reach Ellora from Mumbai.
- In case of Ajanta, it takes around 6-7 hours to reach by road, from Mumbai.
- You can also travel from Mumbai to Jalgaon railway station by train, and then travel by road to Ajanta and Ellora which are 40-50 kms away from these destinations.
- Alternatively, you can take a flight from Mumbai to Chikalthana airport of Aurangabad.
The best time to visit Ajanta caves is between October and March. On the other hand, Ellora caves can be visited all throughout the year.
The Ajanta caves are famous for the 2nd century B.C Buddhist monasteries and monuments built in a rock structure. It’s a UNESCO world heritage site.
Ellora caves consists of Hindu, Jain as well as Buddhist rock cut temples, built only 100 kms away from Ajanta caves, around the same time in history.
Ajanta and Ellora caves are the perfect places to visit if you are a history buff, as they are some of the oldest structures on Earth. You can spend an entire day marveling at the beautiful art depictions and architecture of the caves.
The Ajanta caves were discovered in 1819 by an Army officer in the Madras regiment of the British Army. We suggest that you book Hiranya Resort.